On long car/plane rides, on camping trips, and other locations where a charging outlet is not accessible, the best portable TVs offer endless entertainment and companionship. The size, the number of input options, charging options, run time, and signal quality were the subjects of our analysis.
We also looked at auxiliary features such as fold-out stands, other accessories for mounting, and international flexibility for use. You will be able to fill up even the best TV mounts with either of these options. See also our reviews for the best Roku TVs, the best 4k TVs, the best smart TVs, and also best-curved TVs.
What is the best portable TV to buy?
The best portable TVs to buy depends on factors such as the number of devices you choose to connect with and your own viewing habits. Look for compatibility with USB if you are a streaming buff. Have a look at our top pick, Tyler TTV705, which provides the largest screen size on our list, for the biggest screen on our list (14 inches).
Do portable TVs still work?
Yes, they definitely do. Those that support the NTSC and ATSC standard can connect to analog and digital broadcasts, which deliver a full range of channels.
Can I watch TV without a converter box?
Yes, you can use portable TVs that connect to digital signals without needing an analog to digital converter. If they have built-in ATSC tuners, they are already equipped to display broadcasts by high-definition television (HDTV) standards.
How we chose the best portable TVs?
In determining the best portable TV to buy, we explored size, the number of input options, image/sound quality, power options, and recharging times. Our minimum recommended size is 7 inches (see our second pick Milanix MX7), which offers a good TV watching experience when placed atop airplane seatback trays or laps.
The number of input options allows users to playback media from different devices (e.g., USB for Amazon Fire Stick and an SD drive for high res photos), with or without an internet connection. Power options are very significant. All of our picks can be charged using a standard wall outlet or car charger, keeping it on indefinitely when plugged in. Built-in lithium-ion rechargeable batteries help save tremendously on batteries, which offer average run times of 2 to 3 hours once fully charged.
Our top pick goes to the Tyler TTV705-14 14′′ Portable TV after hours of research and testing. It has the biggest screen size on our list (14 inches) and a leading battery life of 4 hours, along with a range of health signals and crisp sound and audio quality. To learn more about the Tyler TTV705-14 14′′ Portable TV and others that made the cut, keep reading.
Top Portable TVs
1. Tyler TTV705-14 14″ Portable TV – Our Best Pick
Up to 4 hours of battery life and a wide 14-inch screen are offered by this portable TV. If you use media from various devices, including a gaming console, streaming sticks, or SD cards, it is an excellent option.
It connects to broadcasts within a 15-mile radius, thanks to the built-in antenna of this Tyler portable TV. It also has built-in digital tuners for ATSC and NTSC, which transmit analogue and digital signals. A fully functioning remote control also comes with this portable television. Without compromising on functionality, this LCD TV is tiny and compact. The image quality was very sharp during testing, and its sensitive tuner actually tuned well into signals, showing crisp images with little distortion. It also contains a radio with FM.
We like the various input options of this portable TV (USB, HDMI, headphone jacks, SD), compatible with many peripherals, including gaming systems and TV streaming devices such as Roku and Amazon Fire Stick. This allows thousands of movies and TV episodes with a good WiFi or 4G link to be accessed instantly. We like this for long flights (assuming you have a portable battery). It would be good if this portable television had a detachable antenna, as the Milanix portable widescreen LCD TV. Don’t forget that the best smart tv keyboard is also required for your TV.
- Best battery life
- 4-hour battery life
- Great signal reception
- Screen scratches easily
- So-so 1 year warranty
- Bulky (almost 5 pounds)
2. Milanix MX7 7″ Portable TV – Runner up
With a small 7-inch screen and up to 90 minutes of running time, this is the perfect portable TV for camping. For those looking to watch TV outdoors, it is an excellent option.
With sharp, high-resolution images that really pop, we love this portable TV’s LCD screen. Two built-in antennas also help amplify signals, and an external signal boost antenna, which was sufficient enough in a heavily populated suburb to receive 33 channels. Plus, on long car journeys, it weighs less than 3 pounds, making it easy to place on your lap. This portable LCD widescreen TV comes with detachable antennas, a slot for USB/SD cards, AV inputs, and a digital tuner built-in. On this portable widescreen LCD TV, the detachable antennas allow the viewing of channels without streaming.
While a built-in lithium-ion battery is used on this portable TV, it only runs for up to 90 minutes. However, to run continuously, it can be plugged in using your car’s charger. Has got extra credits from Electrical Testing Laboratories, an agency that sets product quality requirements, for its ETL certification. The 7 inch SuperSonic SC-499 Portable widescreen LCD TV with built-in Optical Tuner on Amazon is another portable television.
It has a rechargeable battery and also comes with a USB port plus AC/DC adapter and MMC inputs, an earphone jack, a built-in speaker, and a full-featured remote control, however, unfortunately, this portable digital TV does not have an integrated DVD player. It is also one of today’s best portable televisions on the market. The best TV antenna will also make your local channels look awesome.
- Best budget
- Very lightweight
- So-so battery life
- May be too small for some people
3. Leadstar 10 Inch Portable TV – Best Affordable Pick
This is the best portable TV for cars, with a mini antenna, a car windscreen mount, and a car charger. For road trippers, it is a perfect option.
We like the built-in antenna and signal reception of this leadstar portable TV, with 17 channels discovered during the scanning process. The quality of sound and visuals is also solid, generating clear images with balanced tones and a lack of muffling or distortion. This portable digital TV has an FM feature and comes with an antenna, remote control and a car mount holder for the windscreen. This is a 10.1′′ optical LED TV with a screen ratio of 16:9 and a resolution of 1024×600 SD.
The run time of a 100 percent charge was roughly 3 hours while watching programmes. Without needing to continuously reach a wall or AC outlet to recharge, we enjoy the long runtime. This is also the best gaming portable TV, with input connections to your Nintendo Switch and other handhelds, along with picture and video replay inputs for SD card, HDMI, and USB thumb drive. However, as with the Milanix portable widescreen LCD TV, it would be good if this LED TV had a detachable antenna. Check out the best gaming TVs for a gaming-specific TV.
- Best for car
- Very lightweight (1.7 pounds)
- Great customer service
- Remove control not intuitive
4. Pyle PLTV1053 10-inch Portable TV
This Pyle portable TV comes with two fantastic built-in stereo speakers that sound great and a stunning 10 inch LCD monitor. It’s a perfect choice for anyone who wants a portable TV with great sound.
Multiple media types, such as A/V, USB, and micro SD, can be supported by this portable TV. This enables both image and video files to be played, as well as streaming devices such as the Amazon Fire Stick. Bonus points for the built-in 3.7V lithium rechargeable battery, good enough for up to three hours of playtime. This compact digital TV features a 10.1-inch high-resolution 1024-600-pixel TFT LCD display, a 16:9 aspect ratio with measurements of 1.2” L x 7.4” W x 1.2” H.
This portable TV’s built-in stereo speakers, which really hit the right notes, really amazed us. With 12 local stations discovered during testing, a stretchable antenna also picks up the signal and provides direct reception. It might not be the best 75-inch TV, but one of the best portable TVs on the market.
- Large display
- Easy to use interface
- Awkward remote control button placement
- Flimsy tilting stand
5. GJY NS-901 10.1 Inch Portable TV
This GJY portable 10.1-inch TV comes with an antenna and, on a full charge, lasts up to 3 hours. With NTSC and ATSC tuners built-in, whether you want to watch digital or analogue broadcasts, it is a great option.
We admire the antennas on this portable TV. It was able to pick up 24 channels in a low-density Florida suburb during testing. This is a 720p-resolution 10.6 inch LCD display. A USB, HDMI, and Micro SD card reader are also included in the input options, compatible with many streaming TV devices and audio/video playback. Unfortunately, DVD playback is not supported, nor does it include a built-in DVD player. With MP3/MP4/JPEG/DIVX/AVI/MPG/VOB formats, this portable digital TV supports HD video.
Bonus points for a 3-hour charge, making it a decent choice for a picnic. A built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery and two chargers, a car charger and an AC/DC adapter are provided for this portable TV.
Inserting SD cards and USB drives resulted in feedback that was almost instantaneous. On a 16:9 panel, all of our favourite episodes and media files played back beautifully, looking crisp. While the quality of audio and video is outstanding, unlike our top choice, Tyler TTV705-14 14 ” Portable TV, it does not have an FM radio. At least for this unit, you won’t need the best tv wall mount.
- Includes HDTV antenna
- SD and USB-drive compatible
- Great picture quality
- Wobbly stand
- Instructions are not clearly written
- Odd button placement on remote
6. Here’s noteworthy mention: Eboxer 10-inch Portable TV
A 10-inch screen with an integrated ATSC tuner for international playback and a foldable stand is available on this digital portable TV from Eboxer. For frequent travellers, it is a perfect option.
This portable TV’s ability to pick up signals in more than five countries, including Mexico, Puerto Rico, and the Dominican Republic, is our favourite feature. If you are a regular traveller to these places, it’s a perfect option. Note, this portable TV is set to the ATSC standard, so only digital broadcasts are supported. We also like the fact that it supports USB, HDMI, and 1080p video, including MP3 and MOV, in more than 6 different media formats. Two built-in speakers that produce HD sound are also included. The resolution of 1080p and the 16:9 ratio provide a perfect picture.
This portable TV can comfortably sit on a make-up stand, desk, or kitchen counter, thanks to a foldable back holder. It also has both HDMI and USB ports, making it compatible with the Amazon Fire Stick, Roku, and other devices for streaming. It is also possible to link it to a cable box.
- 1080P video quality
- Supports a wide variety of digital codecs
- Lightly written instructions
- Does not support analog TV
Best Portable TVs – What to consider before buying portable TVs?
1. Size and Weight:
Go for a portable TV with a minimum size of 7 inches, which, even when seated up to 3 feet apart, we believe provides sufficient viewing. Like the 1.76-pound Leadstar and the 2.1-pound Milanix, we also like lightweight TVs, which are a joy to let them rest on the lap.
2. Number of Input Options:
There are multiple input choices for all of our suggested picks, including USB, SD, and HDMI. This allows users to play various types of media from common devices such as the Roku or with saved images and videos from a regular flash stick. While camping, if you need a larger screen than your tablet, this is an excellent playback choice. Consider smart TV with portable TVs connected to streaming sticks.
3. Power Options:
We recommend the usage of the standard wall outlet and car charging. And all our recommended picks support standard wall and car charging outlets.
4. Run Time:
Make sure the portable TV you choose delivers continuous playback of up to 3 hours. All our picks deliver that playback time using built-in rechargeable lithium-ion batteries.
At the end of the day, we all prefer something that simplifies our life and allows us to recover from our busy and tiring day. Not just for your wellbeing, but for creating a stronger framework and bonding moments, tripping and being close to nature is beneficial. Tyler TTV705 Portable LCD HD TV is our top pick that offers premium quality, durability, efficiency, and outstanding features. Moreover, we hope you found a great gift for yourself or your loved one that’s sure to treasure for years to come.
Take a look at these products from the same price range, that are available right now on Amazon:
- The sleek design of this portable Television makes it a pleasure to look at even before you turn on the power!
- Easily portable and ultra lightweight: this sleek TV measures in at 13. 5 inches in width by 9 inches in height and 1. 25 inch in depth making...
- Versatility and connectivity: This unit features an HDMI input, SD, MMC, USB, VGA, Headphone Jack, AV Inputs and output and built-in Digital...
- Convenience and reliability: with the included remote control, you can relax and control your new Television without having to leave your seat....
- Visibility and practicality: you can be sure that your new portable Television will give you the best viewing angle possible with the hard...
- 14" HDTV supports up to 1080p with Dual Tuners ATSC and NTSC
- Built-in Battery Provides up to 4 Hours of Use
- Built-in Stereo Speakers and Headphone Jack for Private Viewing
- Compatible with all your favorite devices: Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast, Amazon Firestick, and Slingbox
- SUPER SLIM DESIGN : 14.1" Widescreen LED HDTV Portable Television built in digital tuner Can Receive ATSC digital, NTSC analog TV, and DTV+ATV...
- MANY FEATURES : USB/SD inputs for external audio/video playback, Dual AV inputs for use with DVD player or Game System, HDMI, VGA, Earphone Jack,...
- SUPPORTING FORMATS: FM, AVI, MOV, MPEG 1, MPEG 2, MPEG 3, MPEG4, XVID, AVC, MP4, H.264, HEVC(H.265), FLV, MKV, MP3, JPEG, WMV, HDMI, RMVB, AVI,...
- PORTABLE BUILT IN RECHARGEABLE BATTERY: Long lasting rechargeable battery lets you Watch TV On The Go! Great for kitchen, road trips, vacations,...
- HDMI interface and VGA Interface: Compatible To Many Devices Such as Apple TV, Amazon Firestick, Roku, Slingbox, and Gaming Consoles! Also...
- SCREEN: The SuperSonic portable TV comes with a 14 inch LED screen. Our display delivers a crisp image quality for your viewing experience.
- COMPATIBILITY: SuperSonic Portable LED TV comes equiped with USB, AC/DC, and MMC inputs. This allows you to connect to your other media devices!...
- BUILT-IN: Our TV has a built in digital TV tuner, making it convenient to take anywhere!
- POWER: Our device comes with a lithium battery built into the device. There is no need for an external power source. Just simple charge and play!
- USAGE: Our device is versatile. Great for the kitchen, RV, outdoors, or on the go. Play your media anytime, anywhere.
- 12.1" digital 16:9 screen with 1280x800 SD resolution; H.265 Freeview TV / ATSC TV (MPEG4) for USA and other countries,Our TV can be use in all...
- Long life LED Panel, Support play JPEG/MP3/MP4/MPEG/WAI/VOB/RMVB/AVI/MKV/M4V 1080P video by SD Card HDMI-in or USB.
- Built-in 4000 mAh Li-Polymer, stereo loudspeakers and Earphone socket; DC power supply from mains (110-240V 50/60Hz)
- FM function,Audio-video, input function;Super slim fashion design;Small screen for car or kitchen.(UN regulation power...
- We are the manufacture of portable car TV over 16 years.Support technical service by 24hours Service online.
- Pure HD Cinema Level Screen — Brand-new self-produced LCD screen has more high-definition and top picture quality. Upgraded 10. 1-Inch...
- Longer Watching Time — Adds a protection board for the battery to achieve the highest quality and safety. You can enjoy your favorite videos...
- Unique Button Design — The ONLY DVD player on the market that has two sets of operating systems, one for daily viewing, another for on-board...
- Supports Huge Array of Multimedia — Supports direct play of CD, DVD, CD-R/RW, DVD -R/+R, DVD+RW/-RW, VCD, SVCD (but NOT blu-ray DVD). It is...
- Break-point Memory — Built-in break-point memory function means the DVD will begin where you left off last time.
- Please check DTV Reception Maps on Federal Communications Commission prior to purchase to check for the DTV signals that are available at your...
- [Ultra Portable Monitor] 15.6” Matte Monitor delivers stunning 1920 x 1080 resolution, IPS screen with ultra HDR option, design for portable...
- [Plug and Play Feature] The USB C portable monitor has impressive feature of plug and play that doesn’t require any driver installation....
- [Smart Design & Case] Original protective cover which is made with a durable PU leather exterior, it is strong enough to fold into 3 different...
- [Widely Application] Portable display with USB C, mini HDMI and USB port make it easy connection with Laptops, PCs, Phones, PS3/PS4, XBOX ONE or...
- [Travle Monitor] Simple operation, easy to carry.Not limited by space