If you’re looking to purchase a new TV in the future, it’s probably a flat screen. Modern flat screens have grown thinner and larger, and many of them are built to look like pieces of art when wall-mounted. Few curved TVs are still available, but they are gradually declining from the markets.
Best Flat Screen TVs to Buy in 2021 – Reviews
1. Best Flat Screen TV: LG B9 OLED
The LG B9 OLED is the best flat screen TV we’ve ever reviewed. This is a fantastic TV that offers outstanding picture quality and a perfect alternative for those who want to watch in the darkness. Complete blacks should be done without any uniformity issues, such as backlight flickering or clouding, which can be very distracting.
Thanks to its wide viewing angles, it is ideal for every form of room configuration and has strong peak brightness and excellent brightness for viewing in bright rooms.
Response time on this TV is almost instant, resulting in a bright picture with virtually no distortion in motion. It performs remarkably well for gaming with its 120Hz refresh rate and low input lag and also supports FreeSync for nearly tear-free gameplay experience.
Unfortunately, this leads to the issue of temporary image retention and permanent burn-in, which may happen for static content, such as the user interface of a video game or the channel logo being shown at the same spot over a longer period of time. That said, it’s not meant to be an issue for most people who watch different content.
Out-of-the-box, the color performance of this Screen is pretty poor, but it has an outstanding gray uniformity on the bright side, which is perfect if you like to watch sports. There is support for both HDR10 and Dolby Vision, and it supports eARC so that you can experience high-quality uncompressed audio like Dolby Atmos through TrueHD with a simple HDMI connection.
- Perfect blacks and black uniformity.
- Best flat tv screen
- The image remains accurate when viewed from the side.
- Nearly instantaneous response time and very low input lag.
- Has the risk of permanent burn-in with static content.
- Automatic Brightness Limiter (ABL) can become distracting at times.
2. Best LED Flat Screen TV: Samsung Q80/Q80R QLED
If you’re concerned about the chances of permanent burn-in on the LG B9 OLED, check out the Samsung Q80/Q80R. This TV uses a VA screen with a high native contrast ratio and a wide range of local dimming, resulting in deep and inky blacks for an outstanding dark room viewing experience.
It has an excellent peak brightness in HDR mode to render highlights pop, and its motion control is fantastic, with very little blur trail behind fast-moving artifacts. Gamers will be satisfied with their 120Hz refresh rate and FreeSync support, and their ‘Complete Low Latency Mode’ allows it simple to jump into a game on a compatible console like the Xbox One without needing to adjust the picture mode every time.
With the best picture quality, LG is a great option, but if you’re concerned about the possibility of burn-in, go for Samsung.
- Very low input lag and great gaming features.
- Excellent motion handling.
- Very bright in both SDR and HDR.
- Some gray uniformity issues at the edge
3. Cheaper Alternative: VIZIO P SERIES QUANTUM X
If you consider the Samsung Q80/Q80R QLED expensive and are searching for something better with just a few compromises in performance, get the Vizio P Series Quantum X 2019. It doesn’t have a perfect smart interface for the LG B9 OLED, and the Vizio doesn’t have any of Samsung’s gaming functionality.
On the upside, this is an outstanding TV that offers decent picture quality and works really well in most programs. It can be really bright and appropriate for any room.
If you’re looking for the very best flat screen TV, get the LG. However, if you’re trying to save some cash, the Vizio is a fantastic option with excellent overall efficiency.
The Vizio P Series Quantum X is a fantastic 4k LED LCD TV. It offers excellent overall image quality with rich, consistent blacks, exceptional peak brightness, and a great local dimming feature. Flow appears fantastic, due to the outstanding response time.
It also has an excellent low input lag to ensure quick gaming performance, but it does not allow some of the advanced gaming apps, such as FreeSync, seen on some other TVs. Unfortunately, when shown at an angle, the picture degrades and there is visible banding in places of contrasting hue.
- Outstanding peak brightness in SDR and HDR.
- Deep, uniform blacks.
- Best flat tv screen
- Great motion handling.
- Image degrades when viewed at an angle.
4. Best Flat Screen TV For Color Accuracy: Sony X950G
If you’re involved in color accuracy, the Sony X950 G is the flat screen TV with the highest display pre-calibration accuracy. It’s an amazing TV that offers excellent picture quality. That you are never able to get the perfect blacks you’re going to have on an OLED, but the TV will show deep blacks in a dark room thanks to the high native contrast ratio and decent local dimming support.
It’s a TV with excellent out-of-the-box color accuracy, which might save you the expense of correction that many TVs might require. You can easily place it in every space because it can be really bright, so you can fight the glare with ease. The motion looks amazing on the Sony thanks to the quick response time that leaves just a small blur trail behind a quick-moving video.
Unfortunately, in smaller versions, the picture degrades at an angle, much like most VA panel TVs. The larger variants add the ‘X-Wide Angle’ mask, which increases the viewing angle at the cost of the contrast ratio. Finally, the input lag is low enough to satisfy most participants, although the more aggressive ones might want it even lower.
Overall, this is a stunning TV with outstanding out-of-the-box color quality that should impress most people.
- Outstanding peak brightness.
- Amazing out-of-the-box color accuracy.
- Great motion handling.
- Poor viewing angles.
5. The alternative for Gaming: SAMSUNG Q70/Q70R QLED
If you want a gaming TV that performs just as well as the Sony X950 G, then get the Samsung Q70R / Q70 QLED. You didn’t have Sony’s outstanding transparent handling or brightness level, but this is a decent TV that can offer a really good picture quality with deep blacks in a dark room.
This has a very low input lag, supports FreeSync for nearly tear-free play, and allows moderate input lag with motion interpolation. It also supports Auto Low Latency Mode, so you don’t need to move to ‘Playing’ mode any time you choose to play a game.
Overall, if gaming is important, get Samsung; but, if color accuracy is more necessary, Sony is the way ahead.
- Excellent low input lag.
- Excellent motion handling.
- Best flat tv screen
- Can display deep, uniform blacks in a dark room.
- The image degrades quickly at an angle.
6. Best Budget Flat Screen TV: Hisense H9F
The best budget flat screen TV we’ve reviewed so far is the Hisense H9F. It is an impressive TV that plays well for every kind of content. It uses a VA panel with an extraordinary contrast ratio, which creates intense blacks when seen in the dark.
This also has a local dimming feature that works decently well, although there is some blooming around bright items and subtitles. Watching HDR content is a genuinely fun experience due to TV’s impressive peak visibility and a wide range of colors. Response time is excellent, and there is an optional black frame insertion mode to further reduce motion blur; however, there is some picture repetition due to backlight flickering.
For gamers, the input lag is exceptionally low to have quick gameplay experience, however, there is no support for any variable refresh rate technology. While the TV has a 120Hz screen, it can only produce a 60Hz signal. The Android TV interface is user-friendly and has an impressive range of applications available from the Google Play Store.
It can also interact with the Alexa, making it easier to search for your favorite tv shows or to submit content to the TV on your smartphone. Unfortunately, like other VA panels, this TV is not ideally equipped for large rooms with wide seating arrangements, because it has bad viewing angles. Gray uniformity is good, but there’s some dirty screen influence as well as some vintage around the corners.
On the whole, if you want an all-around great TV without a high price tag, consider this one.
- Excellent peak brightness.
- Deep blacks.
- Outstanding low input lag and excellent response time.
- Some noticeable uniformity issues.
7. HISENSE H8F
if you consider the Hisense H9F to be a little out of the budget, have a look at the Hisense H8F. The contrast ratio and the black uniformity are also excellent on this TV, making it a decent option for dark room viewing, although it doesn’t get as light, which might be a little surprising should you consume a lot of HDR video.
Response time is often slower, creating more motion blur behind quick-moving objects; however, the input lag stays exceptionally low for those preparing to play on this TV. The viewing angles are poor due to the usage of the VA panel, and there are still certain gray uniformity issues that may be distracting while watching sports.
Overall, the H9F is a better TV if you can afford it, but if you’re on a limited budget, the H8F is a good alternative with very few compromises.
- Deep, uniform blacks.
- Excellent low input lag.
- Great peak brightness in SDR.
- Bad viewing angles.
- Slow response time.
8. Sony A9G OLED TV Review
The Sony A9 G is an outstanding OLED TV that offers stunning picture quality with perfect blacks and smooth motion handling. It has wide viewing angles, making it ideal for any type of space setup, and handles the reflections extremely well.
It provides a perfect HDR experience thanks to its wide variety of colors and respectable peak brightness, and its impressive uniformity is a big plus for sports fans. While there are no advanced gaming apps, such as variable refresh rate, most players would enjoy the 120Hz screen and low input lag.
It comes with support for Dolby Vision as well as eARC, and Android TV is a user-friendly interface with access to a huge library of games.
- Almost-instantaneous response time.
- Remarkable dark room performance.
- Excellent wide viewing angles.
- Brightness is limited in white scenes.
- Possibility of permanent burn-in with static content
Our suggestions above are what we think are the best flat screen TVs available on the market. These are the best flat tv screen to buy in every price range for you. We have analyzed the features and functions of each product and reviewed our best for the buyers.
Take a look at these products from the same price range, that are available right now on Amazon:
- Dimensions (w x h x d): TV without stand: 38.2 x 22.4 x3 inches, tv with stand: 38.2 inches x 24.5 inches x 7.6 inches
- Smart functionality delivers all your favorite content with over 500,000 movies and tv episodes, accessible through the simple and intuitive roku...
- Pairs 4k ultra HD picture clarity with the contrast, color, and detail of high dynamic range (HDR) for the most lifelike picture
- Direct lit led produces great picture quality. Panel resolution 3840 x 2160. Accessible Menu System (CVAA) : Yes
- Inputs: 3 HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.2 (one with HDMI ARC), 1 USB (media player), RF, Composite, Headphone Jack, Optical Audio Out
- DYNAMIC CRYSTAL COLOR: A fine crystal layer reveals millions of true-to-life colors.
- CRYSTAL PROCESSOR 4K: Intelligent, ultra-fast optimization of 4K content.
- SMART TV WITH MULTIPLE VOICE ASSISTANTS: Access apps and streaming services right on your TV with your voice.
- 3 HDMI PORTS: Connect up to 3 devices with HDMI.
- HDR: Unveils shades of color that go beyond HDTV.
- 4K Ultra HD: 1080p’s bigger, better looking brother. It has four times the resolution of a regular Full HD screen, along with 8.3 million...
- Dolby Vision HDR and HDR10: Cinema technology for your home. We’re talking more detail in the shadows, visibly clearer highlights and...
- Auto Low Latency Game Mode: Who wants to adjust their TV’s settings for gaming. Not us and we’re guessing not you. Luckily, Auto Low Latency...
- Android TV: Customize your Android TV home screen to display your favorite apps, shows, and movies. Cue the latest episode, pick up where you...
- Google Assistant: Press the Google Assistant button on your remote to do more on your TV with your voice. Ask Google to search for the latest...
- 4K HDR PROCESSOR X1 – Powerful TV processing that delivers a picture that is smooth and clear, full of rich colors and detailed contrast.
- TRILUMINOS PRO – Reproduces more colors than a conventional TV resulting in picture quality that is natural and precise, and closer than ever...
- GOOGLE TV – Seamlessly browse 700,000+ movies and TV episodes from across your favorite streaming services, all in one place. Watch content...
- MOTIONFLOW XR – On-screen motion stays smooth and clear, allowing fast moving sequences in sports, action movies, and games to be seen with...
- 4K X-REALITY PRO – Our unique 4K database upscales all the HD content you love to near-4K resolution bringing back real-world detail and...
- 4K UPSCALING: Whatever you watch, the Quantum Processor 4K transforms it to 4K with machine learning-based AI
- SMOOTH MOTION: Action movies, sports and games look fluid up to 4K 120Hz with Motion Xcelerator Turbo+
- DYNAMIC CONTRAST: See bold detail delivered by dedicated warm and cool Dual LED backlights that adjust in real time
- A BILLION BRILLIANT COLORS: Enjoy vivid, lifelike color, regardless of brightness from 100% Color Volume* with Quantum Dot
- EXPANDED COLOR RANGE: Go beyond HDTV with Quantum HDR that delivers a vivid spectrum of color and contrast to your Smart TV
- DIRECT FULL ARRAY BACKLIGHTING: Experience deep blacks and pure whites with an in-screen LED array.
- OBJECT TRACKING SOUND (6 speaker OTS - 60W, 2.2.2CH): Sound that moves with the action.* * 50" has OTS Lite"
- QUANTUM PROCESSOR 4K: Elevate your picture to 4K with machine based AI.
- 100% COLOR VOLUME WITH QUANTUM DOT: A billion stay-true shades of breathtaking color.* *QLED televisions can produce 100% Color Volume in the...
- QUANTUM HDR 12X: Cinematic detail with wider range of cinematic colors.* *The range of Quantum HDR claims luminance based on internal testing...
- OLED DISPLAY: Watch your content come to life in over 8 million pixels. Each pixel turns on and off independently so you'll see your content with...
- α9 GEN 4 AI PROCESSOR 4K: Picture and sound adjustment happen automatically with our best processor. The a9 Gen4 AI Processor 4K uses...
- GAME OPTIMIZER: Game Optimizer gives you easier access to all your game settings, while the latest HDMI allows for fast gaming speeds. Plus,...
- GOOGLE ASSISTANT & ALEXA BUILT IN: There’s no need for an extra device – just ask your TV for music, weather, news, your Amazon shopping...
- HOME CINEMA EXPERIENCE: Get breathtaking picture and audio that makes you feel like you're in the action with Cinema HDR, Dolby Vision IQ & Dolby...
- PICTURE PROCESSOR X1 ULTIMATE: Sony’s best processor analyzes content to bring out OLED’s intense contrast with pure blacks, peak brightness...
- OLED plus PIXEL CONTRAST BOOSTER: Millions of individual pixels are supercharged for more vibrant colors to complement absolute OLED black
- GAME MODE: Take your PlayStation experience to the next level with a Sony 4K gaming TV featuring dedicated Game Mode for a smoother, more...
- SMART ANDROID TV with GOOGLE ASSISTANT: Use your voice to control your TV and smart home devices, easily search for movies and shows, get...
- WORKS WITH ALEXA: Stream smart camera feeds with your voice. Through an Alexa enabled device, just ask Alexa to play music, launch video apps,...