The TV market has been changing a lot recently, both in terms of technology and price, new types of screens with organic light-emitting diode (OLED) panels, and ultra-high definition (UHD, or 4K). UHD & OLEDs are replacing the 1080p standard we’ve become used to.
Best TV to Buy in 2021 – Reviews
1. Best TV: LG B9 OLED
The LG B9 is the best TV we’ve been reviewing so far. This impressive OLED TV offers a spectacular picture quality, no matter the room you ‘re in. Its infinite contrast ratio results in great blacks viewing in a dim room and has outstanding reflective handling for viewing in bright rooms.
It has a refresh rate of 120Hz and the almost immediate response time, so fast-moving sequences result and almost blur-free. There is also an optional black frame insertion factor that allows reduce motion blur and interpolate lower frame rate content and make motion simpler.
It has outstanding gray uniformity, which is perfect if you want to watch a lot of sports, so you can update low-resolution content like cable TV without any complications at all. Its input lag is very small for players, it supports the FreeSync variable refresh rate, and it deals with recent NVIDIA graphics cards.
Unfortunately, this TV has the low out-of-box color performance. Something to keep in mind before you buy an OLED TV is that there is a risk of permanent burn-in. This occurs as static objects stay in the same place for a longer period of time, such as a channel logo or user experience in video games. That said, we don’t consider burn-in to be a problem for the majority of people viewing a range of content. Regardless of these threats, this is the best TV we’ve reviewed so far.
- Perfect blacks and black uniformity.
- The image remains accurate when viewed from the side.
- Nearly instantaneous response time and very low input lag.
- Has the risk of permanent burn-in with static content.
- Automatic Brightness Limiter (ABL) can become distracting at times.
2. LED ALTERNATIVE: SAMSUNG Q80/Q80R QLED
If you’re concerned about permanent burn-in and want an LED TV, then the Samsung Q80 / Q80R is a perfect option. Although it didn’t generate perfect blacks such as the LG B9 OLED, it can get a lot brighter and handle reflections a bit better, which is great if you need to put it in a bright room.
Although Samsung has a VA panel, which is known to have excellent contrast ratios and mediocre viewing angles, its native contrast is lower than other VA panels due to its ‘Ultra Wide Angle’ which significantly improves viewing angles.
Video game players also should enjoy support for FreeSync higher refresh rate technologies to prevent tearing in games, high response time, and a black frame insertion function to enhance the effectiveness of motion.
It also has good-out-of-the-box color precision and good built-in speakers, better than most TVs. If you want the best TV, the LG is a fantastic choice, but if you’re hesitant about a permanent burn-in risk on OLED TVs, then the Samsung LED is a great alternative.
- Very low input lag and great gaming features.
- Excellent motion handling.
- Very bright in both SDR and HDR.
- Some gray uniformity issues at the edges.
3. LED Alternative for Dark Room: VIZIO P SERIES QUANTUM X
If you are looking for a LED TV with outstanding darkroom results, find Vizio P Series Quantum X 2019. It doesn’t deliver flawless blacks like the LG B9 OLED, but it’s still capable of creating dark blacks thanks to its VA stand. Black uniformity is great and has a local dimming function to further darken any blacks, making it an excellent choice for dark room viewing.
In bright rooms, it can be incredibly bright and does a good job of managing the shadows, and you won’t have to think about the amount of brightness you ‘re seeing on this Show. Unfortunately, the viewing angles are poor and the GUI is not as user-friendly as certain other TVs.
However, it has one of the better color options we’ve seen so far, offering a wide variety of colors, and it has a low latency HDMI port to minimize input lag, which is perfect for gaming. If you really want the best TV, the LG is a great choice and performs extremely well during darkened rooms. If you want an LED TV for dark room viewing, then the Vizio is a great alternative.
- Outstanding peak brightness in SDR and HDR.
- Deep, uniform blacks.
- Great motion handling.
- Image degrades when viewed at an angle.
4. Best TV For Color Accuracy: Sony X950G
The greatest color accuracy TV we’ve reviewed so far is the Sony X950G. Out-of-the-box, this TV provides the most accurate colors we’ve seen, so you won’t have to pay more for maximum adjustment.
It has a broad variety of colors with outstanding coverage of the DCI P3 color space used in most HDR content, and it can be bright enough to bring out the highlights in HDR. It has a VA panel, so like most VA panel TVs, it has an excellent contrast ratio and a great black uniformity, plus a local dimming feature to help deepen any blacks.
It has poor viewing angles, but the 75-inch and 85-inch models have the ‘X-Wide Angle’ technology, similar to the Sony Z9F, to improve viewing angles at the cost of contrast, but we haven’t tested these sizes. In bright rooms, it’s getting bright enough to fight the glare, and it has great reflective handling.
Unfortunately, this isn’t a perfect option for competitive sports. It has a refresh rate of 120Hz and an excellent response time, however, it does not have some variable refresh rate technology, so the input lag is a little too high for competitive gaming. Overall, this is the highest color quality TV accessible for purchase that we’ve reviewed so far.
- Outstanding peak brightness.
- Amazing out-of-the-box color accuracy.
- Great motion handling.
- Poor viewing angles.
5. BETTER ALTERNATIVE FOR GAMING: SAMSUNG Q70/Q70R QLED
If you find the gaming aspects on the Sony X950 G too limited, then check out the Samsung Q70 / Q70R. Its colors are not as accurate out-of-box, but it supports FreeSync VRR to reduce screen tearing. It has a decent reaction time and an addition of a black frame to further minimize motion blur.
In addition, the input lag is very low in the ‘Game’ mode. This TV does very well in dim rooms with an outstanding contrast ratio and an impressive black uniformity, just like the Sony, it has a low viewing angle.
Although Samsung can get really bright, it only has decent reflective handling and could struggle a bit in very bright rooms. Unfortunately, there are some uniformity issues, as the edges of the screen are darker, and there is some dirty screen effect. On the upside, this TV connects to lower quality material, such as from a cable box, without any problems.
If you want the most accurate out-of-box colors, look at the Sony, but if you want a better gaming TV, look at the Samsung.
6. Best Budget TV: Hisense H8F
The Hisense H8F is the best TV to buy under $500, it is the entry-level 4K TV with decent image quality. It provides excellent overall picture quality, but while the TV has a strong native contrast ratio capable of generating deep dark pictures, it uses more advanced qualities such as local dimming to enhance the picture quality.
Due to the high contrast ratio and the brightness the picture delivers dark in the dark background and bright in bright rooms and offers outstanding performance. Unfortunately, motion does not look as good as it has a very slow response time, and although it has an additional interpolation of motion, it’s not very good and breaks out continuously.
- Deep, uniform blacks.
- Excellent low input lag.
- Great peak brightness in SDR.
- Bad viewing angles.
- Slow response time.
7. Best Budget TV: Hisense H9F
The best budget TV we’ve been evaluating so far is the Hisense H9F. It’s a remarkable TV for any use, and you can’t really go wrong with it for its price. Its contrast ratio is among the best we’ve seen on LED TV, but the black uniformity is only decent, and the local dimming feature is not very effective in handling bright and fast-moving objects.
In bright rooms, this TV handles the reflections really well and can get bright enough to combat the glare, which means that it performs well even with the presence of direct sunlight.
The motion looks great on this TV due to its amazing reaction time, but that means there’s a visible stutter for lower frame rate video. Luckily, it can interpolate material up to 120 frames per second, which also helps to reduce the quantity of stutter. It can also remove judder from any source that is great for using cable boxes or Blu-ray players.
Like with most VA panels, the viewing angles are disappointing, which is not ideal if you’d like to watch your favorite tv series with the whole family. However, this Version provides the same number of features and image quality as some other high-end competitors and comes at a budget-friendly price, making it the best budget TV we’ve ever tested.
- Excellent peak brightness.
- Deep blacks.
- Outstanding low input lag and excellent response time.
- Some noticeable uniformity issue
8. LG CX OLED
The LG CX OLED is the best TV to buy and provides superb all-around results. As it can turn off individual pixels it can produce perfect blacks, so it looks fantastic in dark rooms. It has a very wide range of colors for content with HDR, impressive viewing angles, and it well upscales content with lower resolution. Gamers should enjoy the support of variable refresh rate (VRR), the near-instant response time, and low input lag.
Thankfully, it has the risk of severe burn-in like all OLED TVs, but it should not be an issue for people who watch varied content. The Automatic Brightness Limiter (ABL) is also aggressive, so large areas are not as bright as they are supposed to be. Fortunately, it has fantastic color fidelity out of the package, and you won’t have to pay any additional time to calibrate it.
- Perfect blacks.
- Wide viewing angles.
- Great out-of-the-box color accuracy.
- Near-instant response time.
- Aggressive Automatic Brightness Limiter (ABL).
- Risk of permanent burn-in.
Our suggestions above are what we found are the best TVs available on the market. These are the best tv screens to buy in every price range for you. We have analyzed the features and functions of each product and reviewed our best for the buyers.
Take a look at these products from the same price range, that are available right now on Amazon:
- DYNAMIC CRYSTAL COLOR: A fine crystal layer reveals millions of true-to-life colors.
- CRYSTAL PROCESSOR 4K: Intelligent, ultra-fast optimization of 4K content.
- SMART TV WITH MULTIPLE VOICE ASSISTANTS: Access apps and streaming services right on your TV with your voice.
- 3 HDMI PORTS: Connect up to 3 devices with HDMI.
- HDR: Unveils shades of color that go beyond HDTV.
- REAL 4K DISPLAY: The rich 4K displays of LG UHD TVs deliver quality you can see in every scene. Enjoy bright colors, high contrast, and...
- QUAD CORE PROCESSOR 4K: Our Quad Core Processor 4K gives you a smooth, crisp viewing experience with enhanced contrast, color and blacks.
- WEBOS + LG THINQ AI W/ MAGIC REMOTE: Control your smart home theater with ease. ThinQ AI and the Magic Remote enable simple navigation and...
- TRUMOTION 120 (Native 60Hz): TruMotion 120 technology reduces blur to sharpen details with up to 120 frames per second, giving fast-moving action...
- WORKS WITH HEY GOOGLE / ALEXA: Customize and control your smart home with ease. LG UHD TVs work with "Hey Google," Amazon Alexa, Apple Play2, and...
- 100% COLOR VOLUME WITH QUANTUM DOT: A billion stay-true shades of breathtaking color.* *QLED televisions can produce 100% Color Volume in the...
- DUAL LED Backlight*: Dedicated warm and cool LED backlights provide enhanced contrast.* * 32" Dual LED not available.
- QUANTUM HDR: Go beyond HDTV with an expanded range of color.
- AIR SLIM DESIGN: Sleek and slim design.
- QUANTUM PROCESSOR 4K LITE: Transform what you're watching to stunning 4K.
- 4K HDR PROCESSOR X1 – Powerful TV processing that delivers a picture that is smooth and clear, full of rich colors and detailed contrast.
- TRILUMINOS PRO – Reproduces more colors than a conventional TV resulting in picture quality that is natural and precise, and closer than ever...
- GOOGLE TV – Seamlessly browse 700,000 plus movies and TV episodes from across your favorite streaming services, all in one place. Watch content...
- MOTIONFLOW XR – On-screen motion stays smooth and clear, allowing fast moving sequences in sports, action movies, and games to be seen with...
- 4K X-REALITY PRO – Our unique 4K database upscales all the HD content you love to near-4K resolution bringing back real-world detail and...
- Superior 4K Ultra HD: Picture clarity combined with the contrast, color, and detail of Dolby Vision HDR (High Dynamic Range) for the most...
- QLED: Quantum dot technology delivers better brightness and wider color volume.
- Product Size (WxHxD) with Stand: 56.9" x 11.6" x 34.9"; Product Size (WxHxD) without stand: 56.9" x 3.0" x 32.5"; Product Weight without stand:...
- Easy Voice Control: Works with Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant to help you find movie titles, launch or change channels, even switch inputs,...
- Roku Smart TV Platform: Roku Smart TV platform provides access to thousands of streaming channels
- High Resolution 3840 x 2160
- HDMI 2.0 & HDCP 2.2
- MEMC 120 (Motion Estimation and Motion Compensation)
- UHD Upscaling
- Mobile High-Definition Link (MHL)
- Quantum Color Built on VIZIO’s high-performance Active Full Array backlight, VIZIO’s next-generation Quantum Color delivers cinematic color...
- UltraBright 1200 Bring your entertainment to life with spectacular bright highlights at up to 1200 nits of peak brightness, more accurately...
- Active Full Array with 240 Local Dimming Zones VIZIO’s high-performance Active Full Array backlight precisely brightens and dims areas of the...
- VIZIO IQ UltraTM Processor Inside, VIZIO’s fastest, smartest chip – the revolutionary IQ Ultra processor offers best-in-class picture...
- SmartCast With lightning fast navigation, enjoy instant access to the best selection of apps from top tier streaming services like Netflix,...
- PICTURE PROCESSOR X1 ULTIMATE: Sony’s best processor analyzes content to bring out OLED’s intense contrast with pure blacks, peak brightness...
- OLED plus PIXEL CONTRAST BOOSTER: Millions of individual pixels are supercharged for more vibrant colors to complement absolute OLED black
- GAME MODE: Take your PlayStation experience to the next level with a Sony 4K gaming TV featuring dedicated Game Mode for a smoother, more...
- SMART ANDROID TV with GOOGLE ASSISTANT: Use your voice to control your TV and smart home devices, easily search for movies and shows, get...
- WORKS WITH ALEXA: Stream smart camera feeds with your voice. Through an Alexa enabled device, just ask Alexa to play music, launch video apps,...